My Favorite Books

  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Perfect Timing by Brenda Jackson
  • The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe by J. Randy Taraborrelli
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • The entire Harry Potter Series
  • The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
  • Dying for Revenge by Eric Jerome Dickey
  • What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci
  • Midnight by Sista Souljah

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Congratulations and Moving Forward

Today, one of my best friends graduated from college with her bachelors in the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. At 21 years old, Rashidah Butler did something I can only dream about currently. She faced odds, beat them, and then walked all over them with bad ass brown pumps. Seeing her shout across the stage in what would be her final interaction as an undergrad brought a slew of tears to my eyes. I was so proud and I know that she will only continue to amaze in her achievements. Watching someone so close to me handle their business in such a swift and concise manner inspired me. Moved me to open my eyes to what has become my reality. I am a mother. I am raising the most feared being on this Earth: a black man. And I need to do this shit like there's nothing else that matters in life. Because really there isn't. So in the completion of her studies as an undergrad, I have awakened something inside of me to hop on my business and prepare to go back to school. Because really, what other option do i have?

No comments:

Post a Comment