My Favorite Books

  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • Perfect Timing by Brenda Jackson
  • The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe by J. Randy Taraborrelli
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • The entire Harry Potter Series
  • The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
  • Dying for Revenge by Eric Jerome Dickey
  • What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci
  • Midnight by Sista Souljah

Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Pride and Joy


I am currently serving as a Boys & Girls Club Spark Tutor. Everyday, I am giving the chance to make a difference in my community by giving hope to little boys and girls who come from places where hope if often not seen. My kids are my pride and joy, and although they’ve gained necessary skills to perform well in school, I’ve gained a pot of gold just from looking into their bright eyes. Here is what I wrote for them.


When I walked into this opportunity
I was unaware of the gold I would be mining
In charge of six or seven tiny minors
Who depended on me to throw paint on the canvasses of their minds
Fresh with the desire to be heard and be seen
I got down to the task of painting a masterpiece more famous than The Scream
From the pages of a book to the pencil’s in their hand
I’ve brought them to the realm of discovery
And they’ve brought me sheer joy
I delight in their smiles
Feel pain when they hurt
And I beam like a proud parent when their potential is realized
You see I. . .
Am a mere vessel
Brought here to bring them through struggle
And come out on the other side with the knowledge to move forward
Walk in the brilliance of intelligence
Shine under the illustrious stars of their individuality
And rejoice in mental maturity
Looking into their innocent eyes
I know that I’ve done my job
Delicately cultivated the garden of young minds
And grown flowers to rival the best roses
Jalen, Jalisa, Justus
Yamini and Kijuan
They are tiny extensions of me
And knowing that I’ve helped them learn to read
Ignites an infinite flame of pride in me

No comments:

Post a Comment